Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Happy Birthday To Me

You often ask me why it is that I’ve never written you poems, or written about you in blogs, or done this or that and how and why I used to for others (to which I have to ask, What others? ^_^), and it’s always been difficult to put to words. But the truth of the matter is that’s why I’ve never put it to words…always before I’ve used words as a medium to describe my feelings, thoughts, and experiences. To clarify the cloud in my mind and fit the varying puzzle pieces together. To make sense of things. To find the calm I always felt flying would give me; the chaos and pettiness of being grounded to fall away.

And I have. There aren’t words to describe how much strength and support I receive each and every day knowing that you love me. There aren’t words to describe the gratitude and appreciation I have for everything you do for me and my family. And there aren’t words to describe the clarity and calm I have with you by my side.

It had been 18 years since I'd been to Colorado Springs. Stood on the stone tiles of the terrazo. Seen the sun reflected off the chapel spires. Heard the footfalls of thousands of cadets marching in step. You gave me the courage to face and the knowledge to realize that a life I felt and dreamt would be the only one I had was false. THIS life - The person I have become, the memories I cherish, the moments I've experienced would never have been. -WE- would never have been. So regardless of the hardships we face, the daily struggles we deal with, and the setbacks we suffer, I would never trade them away if it cost me you.

But back to the topic at hand...my birthday. You often ask what I’d like to do or what I'd like to buy and get annoyed that I don’t want anything. I would say that it’s not because I don’t want anything; I would say because I’m fine. I’m content. I’m happy. Just being. Wherever that happens to be or whatever we happen to be doing. With you.

Thank you, once again, for the gift you give me every year. Happy Birthday to me.

No comments: